Parashat Messorah 5774
The haftarah is of 4 men with ssaraat (Biblical version of leprosy) were sitting outside Yerushalyim which at the time was under siege by the army of Aram. People in the city were dying from hunger & these 4 were ‘on the way’ too.
One of them got the idea that maybe they could get some food handouts from the Aram military camp. His buddies liked the idea & the 4 of them bumbled out to the army camp.
Much to their amazement they found it abandoned, not a single human being was there or even near. The reason was that HaShem had instilled into the Aram army the audio delusion that an immense combined army of Egypt & the Hittites was charging on them in the midst of the night & so they all fled for their lives, leaving everything behind. The 4 were delighted, entered a tent & dined merrily. They looted the tent of clothes & gold which they hid elsewhere. Then returned & did the same in another tent.
Bellies full & lots of loot hidden away they decided they have to tell the king that the Aramayans ran off & that there is food for all to be had for free & so save the people of Yerushalayim from starvation.
Cool, super rescue by HaShem. How many of us stop & consider the way the Hashgaḫa (Divine Intervention) operated here? Let’s take a look.
1. The nation of Israel was due for a slap by HaShem & Aram was the chosen tool for it.
2. Along with that, HaShem did not want to kill everyone, or even most, off.
3. Aram’s army besieged the Holy City/Capitol all appeared lost.
4. HaShem preplanned the salvation along with the slap by having the 4 men contract ssaraat in time to be outside the city walls precisely during the siege.
5. This enabled them to be able to go to the camp of Aram unhindered.
6. HaShem projected into the minds of that siege forces the delusion of a massive midnight assault against them & they ran off like rabbits, leaving everything behind.
7. One of the 4 men got the idea to beg for food from the siege force, HaShem’s instilling the idea in his mind.
8. The men who were ill with that disease for having slandered someone did also have some good character traits & so merited HaShem letting them be HIS tools to notify the King of the food waiting for the people to save them.
We also learn from this instance that even a person who so severely violated the Torah laws still can have a good side & do something very good, even save an entire city. In this point as well there is a lesson for us.